Here are just a few well known flash help sites on Flash and making games in flash, also website resources about different games, who makes them, genres etc. This list was complied while I was coordinating the Swinburne National Institute of Design Research NIDR masters of multimedia design course.
MAKING IMMERSIVE GAMES - MAKING GAMES IN FLASH
What makes a game engaging, immersive and fun? All things being equal, sound, graphics, functionality, what makes one game succeed and another fail?
FlashKit Tutorials - Games
Building games in flash
http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/ … ndex.shtml
This article explains how you can make and play "Asteroids MX."
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/artic … roids.html
the basics of multiplayer games Flash tutorial
First Steps of Flash Game Design - PeachPit Book
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/articl … 1&rl=1
Free games - Shockwave.com is the best place to play free online games, game downloads and flash games
More than 2000 flash games and free games to play online and download. Including action game, sport game, adventure game, multiplayer game, rpg games etc
Mainly a mix for gaming links plus some added extras
http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/d … music.html
http://www.disney.co.uk/DisneyChannel/t … final.html
http://www.mundofryky.com/Noticias/2004 … rgolin.htm
A forum for the uses of videogames in advertising, politics, education, and other everyday activities, outside the sphere of entertainment
http://www.watercoolergames.org/archive … ames.shtml
Games for Change 2006 Conference
This June, the only conference dedicated to the exciting new movement using Digital Games for Social Change will explore real-world impact, the latest games and funding strategies. Hosted in New York City by Parsons The New School for Design, the 3rd annual Games for Change conference will take place on June 27th and 28th. Expert practitioners -- academics, activists, non-profits -- will be called in to examine the impact of current games, evaluations planned and the preliminary work to build the field. At the games Expo, designers will showcase their latest state-of-the-art games.
The anti-McDonald's video game
http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/ar … 007970.php
Italian artists/activists - Check out this site for the
Making money in a corporation like McDonald's is not simple at all. Behind every sandwich there is a complex process you must learn to manage: from the creation of pastures to the slaught, from the restaurant management to the branding. You'll discover all the dirty secrets that made us one of the biggest company of the world.
Ian Bogost and Persuasive Games have just released Disaffected!, a parodical critique of working life at FedEx Kinko’s, a source of frustration from its patrons. It's part of a new series of persuasive games the developers call anti- advergames (games that challenge players to rethink their relationship with consumption and encourage corporate critique.)
Link to game...
http://www.persuasivegames.com/games/ga … isaffected
Games and Play – a few links:
Blogs, forums and conferences:
• NID forum – A great place start. Check out links to games and many other topics on the NIDR design forum page: http://www.hed.swin.edu.au/design/nidr/forum/
• Watercooler forum – A forum for the uses of videogames in advertising, politics, education, and other everyday activities, outside the sphere of entertainment:
http://www.watercoolergames.org/archive … ames.shtml
• Games for Change 2006 Conference – Focuses on Digital Games for Social Change:
• Neurofen: http://www.reliefracer.com/
• Clearsil: http://www.clearahillmtb.com/ and www.clearahill.com/
• Dyson Game: http://www.dyson.co.uk/game/info.asp?sinavtype=menu
• IT Manager Game: http://itmg2.intel.com/eng/default.aspx … tgame&
• Milwaukee’s Best Light: http://www.milbestlight.com/actlikeaman1.aspx
• Wrigleys: http://www.candystand.com
• Honda: http://automobiles.honda.com/element/index.aspx
Anti-advergames, serious games, politics:
• Italian artists/activists (creators of McDonald’s game): http://www.molleindustria.it
– McDonald's video game: http://www.mcvideogame.com/index.html
• Persuasive Games (for ‘persuasion, instruction, and activism’): http://www.persuasivegames.com
– Disaffected: http://www.persuasivegames.com/games/ga … isaffected
– Take Back Illinois: http://www.takebackillinoisgame.com/
• Felipe Calderon campaign website games: http://www.felipe.org.mx/fc/html/juegos.htm#
• Dean for Iowa: http://www.deanforamericagame.com/play.html
• United Nations: http://www.food-force.com
• Darfur is Dying: http://www.darfurisdying.com
• Emergency 112 – a mobile game to teach first aid techniques for medical emergencies:
Taking games to the streets:
• Blast Theory: http://www.blasttheory.co.uk
– Uncle Roy All Around You: www.uncleroyallaroundyou.co.uk
– I Like Frank
• Design Institute: The Big Urban Game: http://design.umn.edu/go/project/TCDC03.2.BUG
• Interactive Fiction Archive: http://www.ifarchive.org
• Chris Crawford: http://www.storytron.com
• http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mi … index.html
• Multiplication Games: http://www.multiplication.com/interactive_games.htm
– Times Attack: http://www.bigbrainz.com/index.php?PART … #FreeStart
• Funbrain: http://www.funbrain.com
• Crimson, viridian and white rooms: www.fasco-csc.com/index_e.php
• http://flasharcade.com/ http://www.flash-mania.com/en
• Flash Magazine: http://www.flashmagazine.com/436.htm and http://www.flashmagazine.com/
• FlashKit Tutorials – Games: http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Games/
• Building games in flash: http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/ … ndex.shtml
• Tutorialized – Flash tutorials: http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Flash/1
Frank's Adventure 3: Risque content... Evoked narrative, Draws on pre-existing story e.g. (e.g. Frank’s Adventure 1,2)
It's also on the developer's site, along with Frank's adventure 1, 2 & 4:
Check out this American McGee Design, Game slanted Blog... Some interesting points of view etc...
American McGee (born December 13, 1972) is an American game designer.
McGee began his career at id Software. He was a level designer and part of the programming staff for such games as Doom II, Quake, and Quake II. In 1998, he moved to Electronic Arts, where he worked as a consultant on many projects and also created his own game, American McGee's Alice. After finishing Alice, he left Electronic Arts and founded his own company, The Mauretania Import Export Company, of which he is the president.
Another Small Game - Demo... for win XP but it has a interesting style...
Bad Day LA DEMO - Available NOW!
Worthplaying has news of the Bad Day LA Demo release:
Set in modern day Los Angeles, Bad Day L.A. is a third-person action/adventure combining fantastical art style, groundbreaking collaborative gameplay elements and a heavy dose of dark satire to create a truly unforgettable experience. This demo features the Biological Attack mission where a plane crashes on the Santa Monica Freeway.
As we often look at gaming from a western perspective... Call of duty 2, Command and Conquer, America's Army etc how about when the "other side" uses games to get it's point across... Left, Right, Cultural, Religious etc...
When you live in middle-east you can’t avoid being part of the image, as a development company we believe that we had to do our share of responsibility in telling the story behind this conflict and targeting youngsters who depend on video games and movies (which always tell the counter side) to build their acknowledgement about the world.
Games from a different perspective...
Games in Arabic presenting the war in the Middle East from a Palestinian's point of view.
The hottest video game for the teenagers of Beirut's southern Shiite neighborhoods is "Special Force," a creation of Hezbollah, the strongly anti-Israel militant organization that is on the United States' terror list.
http://www.socialimpactgames.com/module … mp;sid=126
Link to YouTube tv report on the game...
A good site for different games... Look in the Political + Social Games area for some different points of view...
A mod of the Unreal Game Engine by three art students, who said that their goal was to reinterpret an historic moment by transplanting to the medium with which they were most familiar: computer games.
"Escape from Woomera"
A game about a refugee center in Australia.
"With a first person, 3D adventure game we invite gamers to assume the character of, and 'live' through the experiences of a modern day refugee. The effective media lock-out from immigration detention centres has meant that the whole truth about what goes on behind the razor-wire at Woomera, Baxter, Port Hedland, Maribyrnong and Villawood remains largely a mystery to the Australian public. We want to challenge this by offering the world a glimpse - more than that even: an interactive, immersive experience - of life within the most secretive and controversial places on the Australian political and geographical landscape. In this way, Escape From Woomera will be an engine for mobilising experiences and situations otherwise inaccessible to an nation of disempowered onlookers. It will provide both a portal and a toolkit for reworking and engaging with what is otherwise an entirely mediated current affair."